Monday, December 10, 2012

Week Forty-Nine: Rudy and Reagan

Erica and I were kind of expecting the dates at the end of the year to be a little more akward than what is currently scheduled. I figured we would go through all of our close friends immediately, and end up offering a free dinner to strangers on Craigslist by the time December rolled around. It ended up quite the opposite. Coming up I have the bassist from my band, my siter and a guy I basically consider my brother. And in Week 49, I had over a musician I have toured the country with twice, Rudy, and his awesome lady Reagan.



Rudy is outrageously cool. He is one of the funnest people on the planet to party with, which is why I have booked him as direct support on two of my tours (that, and his music is fantastic). The most recent tour we did together was in August of 2011, with his group Slow Dance, who's vocalist is my current roommate Aaron (Week 4). It started off weird, with Rudy and I getting stranded in Denver after being asked to leave the house we were sleeping at. Rudy describes the vibe as shifting into a scene from the Saw movie series, and we ended up walking around downtown together at 5am. When the routing took us through the desert, the AC in the car broke and we hit internal temperatures up to 147 degrees Fahrenheit. The crazy adventure ended up climaxing with the car breaking down in a small town half way between Las Vegas and Reno called Tonopah, NV. Rudy and I spent the rest of our savings to rent a U-Haul truck and get ourselves and the vehicle back to Seattle. It was both mentally damaging at the time and now one of our fondest memories.

I actually met Reagan on the first tour Rudy and I did. She was going to school in Las Vegas and drove all the way to Salt Lake City to watch Rudy and the Rhetoric perform with The Let Go in a record store for under 20 people. Needless to say, I'm sure she was not impressed with our music careers. But Rudy was overjoyed to see her and she was super sweet and fun. I've seen her at several shows since in Seattle and even on one of our previous double dates this year (Week 22). She is smart, witty and also excellent company.

Rudy and Reagan are huge on Indian food. So I got to try my hand at some complex dishes. I was excited! I decided to make a variety to choose from, and I settled on Chicken Vindaloo (my fav) and Chicken Butter Masala (Erica's fav). I wanted the flexibility to have one spicy and one mild. The food turned out great, and it was actually pretty easy to make too!



Aaron took a seat at the coffee table during the dinner and participated in both the conversation and eating of the food. We started the drinks off with a WA State red that Rudy and Reagan brought. It was excellent. Given that we all know each other so well, it played out a lot more like dinner with a group of friends than a double date. Which was more than welcome in our lives by Week 49!

Lola came trotting up to the table and Rudy laughed. He told us he thought he lost his mind when we first got Lola. I was posting tons of pictures online, and around that same time period, another one of his friends got a fawn French Bulldog puppy and named her Lola too! He was posting pictures like crazy too, and Rudy got insanely confused on exactly who's dog LOLA was. That is how cool Rudy is... he knows TWO people who have awesome Lolas.



After a game of Drinking Jenga, some chat and music video screening with Griff (Week 28), Rudy and Reagan took off for their good friend's birthday party. The date was short and sweet, which in my experience, is better than being long winded and awkward. Gomez and Devon (Week 6) even made an appearance before the night was up. Aaron toppled the tower, for those keeping score at home.

Erica and I will see Rudy and Reagan again, very soon, in fact. And YES, it will be at a rap show! Aaron, Griff and I are combining forces to exit this Earth together with a bang on 12/21/12 at Nectar Lounge for Rudy's END OF THE WORLD PARTY. Tickets are on-sale now for just $5, and I highly suggest all the followers of the blog and participants from the dates come to the show so I can see you one last time.



Before the world ends, I only have to worry about one more date. If it doesn't... one out of... 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment