Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Week Fifty-One: Kate and Eric

The Holidays are always a hectic time of the year. Full schedules, busy streets, shopping and lots of family affairs. Luckily, I enjoy all of the above. So it was no stress to add my sister in the mix for a dinner date. On Week 51, Erica and I welcomed my sister Kate and her longtime friend Eric into our home.



Kate is one of my bestfriends. We were never the brother/sister combo who didn't get along. I have always looked up to her and enjoyed her company. We have mooned the general public many times together. She also provided me with my first alcoholic drink. So BOTTOMS UP would be a great phrase to describe our relationship.

She is a very successful, driven individual working in the advertising industry. I am constantly impressed by her continuous effort. She always gives 100% and even makes time to party, and party to maximum capacity as well. Whenever she hosts dinners at her condo on Capitol Hill, there are always fancy hor d'oeuvres and nice cocktails. I knew Erica and I would have to step our game up and really bring it to the table for my sister.



For the first time in many dates, I pulled out mutliple courses. My sister is BIG on cheese, so to start, I did a cheese plate with crackers, cornishones, and salami. The choice cocktail was one of her personal favorites: a vodka martini with green olives. We sat around the coffee table and chatted while I began to cook the main course.

I had some kale Caesar salads ready at the table. So we popped open some white wine and moved over to the salads. The main course was a pasta dish I borrowed from Noodles & Co. in Colorado called Pasta Fresca. It is a light, fresh pasta dish with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing, fresh spinach and roma tomatoes, topped with parmesan cheese. I went a little heavy with the minced garlic, but it was close to the intended recipe and went over pretty well.



I'm sure Erica wasn't antipating much rap talk at this date, but, as it turns out, Eric is a highup sound engineer in New York. He has worked with many extremely famous and talented artists, including rappers and singers that he signed non-disclosure forms to work with (and thus, I cannot mention). We chopped it up about audio engineering, his opinions on certain plug-ins and his preferences on jobs, etc. He is a really knowledgable, interesting guy who clearly had some awesome life experiences to speak of.

The bomb-drop of the night was discovering the biggest insider secret I thought I knew about the industry was FALSE. Obviously, I won't write about the secret on the blog, but it was dissapointing to find out I wasn't as close to the top as I thought I was! Regardless, hanging out with Eric and soaking up game was a great time.



Griff came back and we did the customary move into his room and watch the music videos thing. We munched on bite-size brownies Kate brought us for dessert, as well as some Scotch on the rocks, also provided by my sister. Before long, Eric had to cab his way to a different party and Kate decided to head home and get some well-deserved rest. As always, I had a great time with my sister.

Heading into the last week of the year, I'm looking at X-mas dinners with both my family and Erica's, as well as presents and constant shifts at work (with one of my assistants away on vacation). It should be crazy. But not as crazy as hosting 52 dinner dates in one calendar year! THAT will finally be wrapping up... Next week my "brother" Mike and his girlfriend Sarah are coming over for our very last date! We are down to ONE...

No comments:

Post a Comment