Monday, November 19, 2012

Week Forty-Six: Clayton and Sydney

I figured by the end of the year, Erica and I would be entertaining some people we weren't too familiar with. Luckily that doesn't necessarily mean comfortable with. One my favorite young bucks (at this point younger than me, but now a vet) from the local rap scene was Clayton, or NOTION as he is called on stage. And with the big show coming up this Friday, he and Sydney got the call for Week #46.



Clayton is such a laid back, even keel guy, that I knew he would be dating a quality person. Without ever meeting Sydney, I told Erica "don't worry, you'll love these people. They are great!" I was only assuming Sydney would be awesome. But the date would be my introduction to her as well.

To her credit, and all the guests who came over for dinner thus far, it is an awkward situation to be tossed into. Like the reaction of many of our cancellations, Sydney was like "...so these strangers or going to be blogging about this??" I am constantly impressed by my friends who are willing to drag their loved ones into this escapade. And like excellent guests, Sydney and Clayton showed up early on our porch with flowers and a bottle of whiskey.



Having failed to cook Chicken MARSALA last week, I decided I needed to learn this week. My apologies to Eliza (Week 45) but Chicken Marsala was an even better choice than Chicken MASALA. The process wasn't too difficult, and much like the recent cooking adventures, I just gathered the ingredients and ventured off on my own for the preparation.

This was my take on Chicken Marsala: I took four chicken breasts and coated them in egg whites, flour and corn starch. I hit them in a hot skillet with sesame oil to sear the outsides, then tossed them in an oiled pan in the oven on low to keep them warm. I diced an onion, some garlic and chopped up some mushrooms then tossed the in the skillet. After frying up the contents for a little while, I added sweet Marsala wine and chicken stock, then I poured the mixture into the pan in the oven with the chicken, and baked it all at 450 for about an hour.



To serve with the chicken, I made some white rice, steamed broccoli and red and gold potatoes cooked in white wine and rice vinegar. The dish as a whole was way over-portioned but very delicious. This is definitely a meal I will cook again. I would venture to say, I pulled it off. And the potatoes cooked in wine is officially my favorite side now.

As we initially sat down to eat, the entire circus busted in! Our roommate Griff (Week 28) came home hauling camera gear and in tow was Ben (Week 1) and a few of his friends. They caught us listening to Counting Crows and mocked us efficiently. I felt a little bad for the unsuspecting Clayton and Sydney, who just had the house tour and a slight warning we had roommates. But the gang left shortly after and then began a very pleasant dinner conversation.



Sydney is as charming and open minded as they come. She works in real estate as well as non-profit. Kind, beautiful, and warm, my inclination she would be wonderful was correct. And together with Clayton, they make an awesome couple. As it turns out, they were a couple in high school, then split up briefly as they went to colleges in different states. They ultimately ended up back together, where they clearly belong.

The bizarre story of Erica and I was told, and we talked most of the night away before even moving over to the coffee table. After a brief game of Table Topics, which exposed we needed no cue cards to carry on a good group conversation, we switched gears to Drinking Jenga.



Jenga came and went, and Clayton was left with a bowl of booze to slug down after knocking over the tower. We chatted a little longer, then the pair took a cab back home. Erica is excited to have a new friend to mingle with at the rap shows, as the her and Sydney got along classically. We can put that theory to test THIS FRIDAY, as Clayton and I hit the stage at Nectar Lounge for my third annual Black Friday hip hop show in Fremont. Tickets will be available at the door, but arrive early because it always sells out. If you want to guarantee a spot, ORDER TICKETS NOW ONLINE.



Keeping it all in the fam next week. The Homegrown fam. One of the most likable people in the company, Colum, and his lovely girlfriend Erin will be coming over for dinner. I am very much looking forward to this one. As the clock ticks... 6...

No comments:

Post a Comment