Sunday, November 25, 2012

Week Forty-Seven: Colum and Erin

Hosting a dinner party after both a double Thanksgiving (Wednesday with my parents and Thursday with Erica's Dad) and a raging show at Nectar on Friday proved to be a difficult task. Erica and I were already pretty drained from all the activities. THANKFULLY, we had over an extremely easy-going laid back couple for Week 47, Colum and Erin.



Colum is the head chef for the catering kitchen at Homegrown (the company I work for). He was one of the original hires, and, much like myself, has moved all the way up the ladder into a high position. I enjoyed working with him at the launch store in Fremont. He handles stress really well and is always in a good mood. He is very knowledable about Eastcoast rap music and is overall great company to keep.

Colum was always one of the better cooks in the store, so cooking for him was intimidating. I took on a little more than I could chew and tried to make Beef Bourguignon. There's a lot of irony in that statement because it came out too chewy. Erica and I do not have a crockpot and it really could have helped me out with the texture. The flavors were there, but the carrots were crunchy and the meat was tough. It will be the last time I try my own take on a dish. I am going to follow instructions to finish out the year for sure.



Erin has been with Colum for two years. We had met previously at some shows they attended; a lot of the Homegrown crew is really supportive about coming out and partying at my band's shows. She is a young, intellegent free-thinker with ambition and a positive attitude. She also showed up with three bottles of nice booze, so we liked her style.

Though the meal was tough and over-portioned, the bottles carried the conversation. Colum and I chopped it up over some company gossip. We shared our couples history and future goals. We did end up playing some Table Topics, however, the Drinking Jenga streak was broken (not a bad thing). We ended the night oddly civil, sharing a pot of tea before Erin and Colum parted ways. It was a very unique ending to a dinner date.

I feel awful about the food not being awesome and Erica and I were supremely tired. We did have a great time with Colum and Erin and I wish I was more of a host, cause they are amamzing to spend time with. As far as we are concerned, we owe them a real meal and possibly a game of Drinking Jenga. Maybe even Yen Wor, who knows? Either way, we are getting close to having an open schedule again. The schedule of weekly dinners is almost over!



It's beyond the 4th quarter of the double date challenge. We've basically reached overtime. It will now be the last month of the year with only five weeks left to go! December will open with my good friend Todd and his lovely girlfriend Nicole. As we get closer to the end, I wonder if the world is coming with us. I guess we will find out on the 21st. Until then, the only number that matters... 5...

No comments:

Post a Comment