Sunday, July 15, 2012

Week Twenty-Eight: Jackie and Griff

It's time to play match-maker! This week's date was a wild backyard BBQ with two of my good friends who hadn't met until this event. There were a few surprise guests and a followup breakfast in the morning, in what turned out to be one of the funnest double dates so far. I always knew Jackie and Griff would make a great couple!



To be an unsuccessful artist, I have to live two lives. A life in which I am extremely dedicated to my music, and put in every effort I can at all times. And a life in which I am gainfully employed and put every dollar I can towards my other life. I have met many good friends in both fields.

But my absolute favorite artist to collaborate with on a project is Griff J (who creates my music videos). That is a major compliment considering I work with both Grieves (Ben from Week 1) and Isaac Meek on a weekly basis, and both are extremely talented and fun to work with. And, of course, the musicians (Matty, Kevin, Kjell and Jeff) in my band, who are making my new album extremely epic. But doing videos like Man Crush and My Girlfriend Beats Me with Griff are some of my fondest memories in my entire life.

And my favorite co-worker, ever, at any job, is Jackie. That is also a major statement, because I've worked with a ton of rad folks, including Andrea at Pagliacci (who was my relationship advice therapist)and Henry Browne (who needs no introduction, he's legendary). But in the end, the most cheerful and consistent co-worker has been Jackie. Sometimes I think I maintain my job at Homegrown just to see her on a weekly basis.

I consider both Griff and Jackie very close friends. Griff is in fact moving into Tune Castle in August. And I offered Jackie a room here the week we bought the house, but it didn't pan out. In other words, if I could be around these two at all times, I would. So I would vastly prefer it if they would just get married and purchase the house next door.

They are both very attractive, so it is a would be power couple situation at hand. There are certain people that would just make adorable couples and I wanted to take a shot at helping this happen. That being said, the situation of a blind date is awkward enough, place a review of it in a blog and that's a lot of pressure. So we decided to grill burgers and let anyone who wanted to come over join us.



Jackie and Griff showed up first. And we fired up the grill and drank a few beers before anyone else came. Next in the door was our neighbor Cam (Week 23) who had his girlfriend from Reno visiting. Then Ben (Week 1) showed up with Joe (Week 22) and another one of Cam's friends came over as well. It made for quite a crowd, and I believe it was the third time for both Ben and Cam to be included in a date.



The burgers were pretty standard: cheddar cheese, pickles, tomato slices, diced white onion, grilled patties and a toasted bun. We went through three big bags of chips, two bottles of Fireball, a bottle of vodka, two 12 packs of Bud Light Platinum, a sixer of Newcastle and an 18er of Rainier. It was a lively group, to say the least.



I blasted Sugar Ray, Counting Crows, Weezer and tons of other awesome 90's alt rock. It pretty much blew everyone's minds. And then I completely destroyed Jackie's connection to reality by giving her a listening session to my first album ever, Tearing Us Apart by my high school punk band The Duplos. Our roommate Aaron (Week 4) was the guitarist for that group, and the primary reason why I switched to rap. I would still be making crappy pop punk about girls if my band was into that...



This date was one of the funnest. It was so fun, I had to put myself to sleep halfway through it and missed most of the action! The anti-DUI room had been disassembled in prep for Griff's move-in, but I woke up to Griff on the upstairs couch and Jackie on the downstairs couch. It appeared maybe the sparks did not fly.



The three of us went to breakfast at my favorite Pho spot in Lake City. We were all smiles and discussed the follies of the previous evening. It seemed like they were perfectly friendly and comfortable. Perhaps the seed of a Jackie and Griff pairing was planted?



At the end of day, Jackie and Griff got along just fine, and might see each other again. But the immediate chemistry I was rooting for maybe wasn't quite there. I think what they have in common starts and ends with being good looking. But you never know! Griff is moving in and I told Jackie I insist she comes around the house more often. Cause the two people who really hit it off were her and Erica, which I loved. They are going to see Magic Mike together, which I love more, because now I don't have to be dragged to a movie about male strippers.



Next week we have a very special date with Erica's bestfriend from high school, Shaunda, and her husband Quis and son Mark. It is yet another out of town visit, this time for South Carolina. And I will tell you with 100% certainty, it will be a great time. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment