Monday, July 30, 2012

Week Thirty: Cody and Alexis

There's one thing Erica fears more than anything else in the world: rap talk. She gets bored to tears when I yammer on about the labels I was signed too, the artists I have toured with and the projects I am working on. And given that my main passion is rap, generally, a lot of my close friends are rappers. For Week 30, I was having over my friend Cody, who I know solely from making rap music. Would the night end up being one huge dose of rap talk?



Spoiler alert: no.

Cody is a professional rap artist who releases music under the alias Sadistik. Born and raised in WA State, Cody moved to Seattle around the time he debuted with his album The Balancing Act in 2008. My former group The Let Go dropped our debut Tomorrow Handles That in the same year and shared a bill with Cody on his first show in Seattle. Here is a music video for the single off of Cody's first album:



I have known of and respected him since,and even asked him to be on the Honeymoon Tour bill at High Dive with Griff (Week 28) and Steph (Week 19). But we hadn't really connected on a friendship level until very recently. In the process of making the 2nd installment of my free EP series Bad Tattoos (download both volumes here), I received an amazing beat from Ben (Week 1) that turned into a song I thought Cody would fit perfectly on. I reached out to him and he decided to do the track. We spent a night at Undercaste Studios with his girlfriend Alexis, a bottle of whiskey and some wine finishing up the song. It was a lot of fun and I learned that Cody is a really good dude and fun to party with. So I decided to invite him and Alexis over for a dinner date.

The food requested was "something Mexican." As readers of the blog know, that is a common occurrence at 52DD. So knew I wasn't going to make tacos, for certain. But I was interested in challenging myself with enchiladas. I had no experience making them and I never order them when I'm eating out. So I looked up a recipe and headed to the store to get the ingredients.



The process was incredibly simple:
-chop chicken, cook in a pan with some oil, place in the oven on warm for holding
-dice onion, cook in pan
-add in minced garlic to pan
-puree tomatoes and add in the pan with onion and garlic
-add in two teaspoons of chili flakes
-remove chicken from oven and place in sauce
-in a separate pan, add oil and cook 6" corn tortillas until slightly bubbling
-add sour cream, cheese and chicken inside the tortillas then roll them
-place the rolled tortillas in a pan
-pour the remainder of the sauce over the rolled tortillas
-add more cheese on top
-place in oven



I must say, this recipe turned out being pretty tasty. I cooked up some black beans and rice on the side, and we had chips and salsa as well. The drink of choice was a gin and tonic. Very simple to make and does the trick quite well.

We did the house tour and had a cocktail when Cody and Alexis arrived. The conversation was casual and comfortable. I liked their presence. They are very confident yet non-pretentious people. We dabbled in and out of some unavoidable talk about rap, but for the most part, it was just two couples hanging out.

Cody has a Rottweiler named Kubrick, after the famed director of The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange. He is an avid movie collector and horror film fan. Alexis and him recently watched a horrible, so-bad-it's-good type movie that they told us about, called Birdemic. Allegedly the GOAT of awful.

Alexis takes interest in pop-culture things and knows a lot about what's happening on the national scene, what's going on in fashion and with celebrities. Erica loves all that stuff, so they got a long well. Celebrity talk would probably be my version of rap talk. But Alexis and I openly shared the same amount of love for Sugar Ray, so we blasted it on the stereo while playing Table Topics.

This date was super comfortable. We enjoyed Cody and Alexis a lot and agreed to set up Lola and Kubrick on a doggy date at Magnuson sometime in the near future. Also in the near future is a double date with my Aunt Deb and Uncle Jim. They will be in town visiting from Phoenix this week, so we were excited they could fit us into their schedule. Always time for family! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment