Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week Forty: Rob and Nicole w/Molly

Erica and I are officially headed into the last quarter of dates. The final three months of the year. It's been a grueling season of ups and downs. The hardest part was scheduling, fitting people in and what not, getting on the same page with four different agendas. Everybody asked if we knew enough people to fill 52 dates. The truth of the matter is, I don't think we have enough time or slots to get over all the people we would like to invite! The couple who came over for our 40th date definitely should have been invited much earlier in the year. So I was extremely pumped up to have over my good buddy Rob and his gorgeous wife Nicole.



I met Rob via the hip hop scene. He was a promoter at my current favorite venue Nectar Lounge and hooked Ben (Week 1)and I up with our first few decent gigs. It was Rob's introduction of me to the Nectar guys that started the foundation I have there now. I play there nearly once a month, and the shows are always fun and well attended. In fact, the next one coming up is the day after Thanksgiving, and tickets are on sale HERE for just $5. It will be a massive reunion of good friends, so order today!

Rob also helped to develope my other professional relationship: the one I have with Homegrown. Although I am branch manager of the Capitol Hill store now, but I was, at one point (three years ago), a newly hired, minimum wager with part-time hours. Rob was about to move up to head chef in the company, and he put in a good word for me. I was employed after a brief and honestly not-so-impressive (on my end) interview. So I owe this connection to Rob as well. Based on those two hookups alone, he has been a very solid friend.



Speaking of solid friends, Nicole and Rob both have one they decided to include on the date: their adorable little 2 year-old Boston Terrier Molly. Cola (Week 35) paved the way for a double doggie date. And Lola loved it. Naturally, our little runt was all fired up to see another canine on the spot. Molly was far more energetic and nimble than her, but the pair had a great time running around and nibbling at each other. It was pretty awesome.



The food terrified me. I must admit, I dropped the ball big time! I was so nervous about cooking for a great chef, that I crumbled under the pressure. I attempted to make shrimp tacos. I wanted a challenge, since I don't do shrimp and cooked it for the first time last week. That was a mistake, and I ended up preparing own of my least favorite meals to date.



Fortunately, the company was outstanding. I hadn't seen Rob in too long, and it was great catching up. Rob and Nicole described life in Columbia City, their Wedding and dog ownership. For a small time, Erica and I were freaking out that Lola might be lonely so we considered getting a second dog. It was nice to find out that is a common thought between folks with puppies. We also discovered a few more commonalities through a game of Table Topics.

Rob and Nicole are a super sweet couple and a very good match for one another. I'm sure we will cross paths again very soon, hopefully Rob will be cooking and not me! Just as he shares the same passion for hip hop, Rob also loves standup comedy. And I know for sure we will be hitting some stages up together and working on our material. I appreciate that guy and I look forward to that.

Next week I have someone coming over who is -surprise- connected to me via rap music. This time, however, it was one of my oldest crew members, Austin, and his longtime lady friend Kristin. Time to finish up this year of dates strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment