Sunday, June 24, 2012

Week Twenty-Five: Sky and Jennifer

It was a turbulent week,and my depression beard was starting to grow. It started off with a successful debut of my stand-up comedy act at an open mic with Toby and Erin (Week 21). Followed by an extended wait on the editing of my new music video, as well as guest vocals for my next album not arriving (from various parties, all of which are worth the wait). Added to that, the owners at my work place aren't particularly happy with me. Suddenly, an e-mail from a rather famous comedian landed in my inbox, expressing interest in working with me. Highs, lows, highs... then the lowest of the low: Lola sprained her little puppy paw. In need of a positive boost, Erica and I invited over my "brother" Sky and his lovely new wife Jennifer for dinner. It was time to rise from low to high again.



I tell everyone in my life that Sky is my brother. It was very hard to understand for all my friends in college, and my co-workers at various jobs. There's no blood relation. There's no ties via marriage. But my mother was friends with his mother before he and his twin Michael were born, and I have known them both since age zero. We were raised together. We are beyond friends. We are brothers.

It was Sky and Jennifer's Wedding in Puerto Rico that Erica and I recently attended. And it was lovely. Jennifer, after 28 years of living in Puerto Rico, has now moved to lovely Seattle, WA. And since she arrived, it has rained almost everyday. Despite the promise of a classic "best keep secret" Seattle summer, all she has seen is the typical June gloom. Depression beard.

We wanted to make her feel at home, as Seattle will hopefully be the area her and Sky raise their family in. It was mentioned that she had somewhat of an addiction to fried sweet plantains. So I decided to incorporate them in the meal. Being unfamiliar with the process, I was shocked when my co-worker Juan (who has been to Puerto Rico several times and has family there) told me how easy it was to prepare them. Peel them, cut them, put them in a pan with some butter and a little brown sugar. Done deal.

For the meal, I knew I had to steer clear of a dish with cheese, as that is a dietary restriction for Sky. I figured chicken, rice and veggies is easy to make and never fails. Chicken piccata is one of my favorite dishes. And I have never cooked it for myself. So I decided now was a perfect time to learn.



Chicken piccata is as easy to make as it is to eat. Salt, pepper and flour some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Put some extra virgin olive oil in a pan with a quarter stick of butter. Brown the chicken on both sides, then set aside and keep warm. Add chicken stock and lemon juice to the pan. Place the chicken breasts back in the pan, add capers and broil the mixture.

I steamed some rice, placed it on the plates next to the chicken, then cut up some peppers, onions and carrots and tossed that in the piccata sauce mixture and fried them up. I topped the dish with the fried veggies and served the plates with a fresh lemon wedge. It was a massive portion, but a very good dish.



After dinner, I fried up the plantains as Juan had instructed and served three or four pieces per person with a side of fresh fruit. I am a little nervous they wouldn't live up to what Jennifer was used to, but she politely said they were up to par. One thing I noticed about Jennifer from the small amount of time we have spent together, is that she is very elegant, poised, and proper. A true lady.



When dessert was quickly consumed, we sat in the living room for a while and chatted. We discussed their future plans, and played some Table Topics, and called it a night before the clock struck midnight. It was a very pleasant, formal exchange. I not only expect, but I am certain, Sky and Jennifer will be our couple friends for the rest of time.

As I mentioned in the preamble, poor Lola sprained her ankle by jumping off our backyard porch, which is merely one foot high. Her yelp was enough to rip my heart into a million pieces. Erica and I took her immediately to the Vet ER. Almost $800 later, Lola was sent home with a splint and some pain meds. She will survive, but so will our credit card debt.



The addition of Aaron to the household was almost financially null and void by this bill. Erica and I are treading water, and we were flirting with the idea of adding a second roommate to help catch up and possibly get ahead with savings. Lola's accident was the decision-maker. And starting in August, our good friend Griff J will be moving into the guestroom. Any potential dates who planned on using the anti-DUI bed better pony up and push their way ahead in the 52 DD waiting line. Otherwise, they will be smack dab in the middle of a surprise threesome with our future roommie.

Griff will be coming over for dinner prior to moving in on a blind date of sorts. To make this possible, our good friend and one of my assistants at work, Therese, shifted her date around to make our calendar fit for everyone involved. So this weekend, Therese gets her shot at 52 DD with her boyfriend and Rain Shadow butcher, Bobby. This will be the 26th date of 52, the official halfway mark, and it's going to be a good one. Stay TUNED.


1 comment:

  1. Jeff and Erica! So awesome having dinner with you both last night! And super extra fun seeing you cook up dinner! You did great! Had a blast chatting about skywalks, tsunamis, 10second timers, bacon sandwiches, and your super news :) Thanks for the great time, for the cool post and looking forward to many more fun nights! ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete