Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week Sixteen: Kawai and Danny

Last week, we had a last minute, spontaneous date. This week wasn't far off. I was scheduled to have steaks with a former co-worker, you know, the one I fired. So that was cancelled. Which was a bummer cause I was looking forward to seeing her. We all miss her at work. I was given a 24 hour in advance courtesy call. Being the moody grump I am, I told my wife that I was over planning all these dinners and unless she handled this scheduling issue, I was going to stop writing the blog. Dramatic, I know. But in her even-keel style of fashion, Erica got a hold of Kawai, a bridesmaid from our Wedding, and set up a DD with us and Kawai's long-time boyfriend Danny.



The pitch was crafty, on Kawai's end. She called Danny and reminded him of the date which he had set up with us (their original date was actually in the first week of July). He got ready to come over, and they arrived on-time and with more booze than any couple has provided thus far. They were ready to party.

The menu was left up to me (which made it easy), and since I work across from Rain Shadow Meats in Melrose Market, I decided to stroll over and pick up some of their delicious pre-portioned bacon burger patties. At the grocery store I purchased some fresh kaiser rolls, sliced sharp cheddar, mixed greens, pickle slices, a red onion, two tomatoes and a bag of frozen french fries. Good, old fashioned American Cheeseburger and fries. You know how it's made and what it tastes like so I will spare you the details. But they turned out pretty good and I attribute it all to the high quality grass-fed beef.



The tour of the house was extended, because Danny knows so much about structures and is interested in how things are put together. Kawai is also big on decoration, so the walk-thru turned into a feedback exchange, and we discussed what changes could be made and future possible improvements. Kawai and Danny are also homeowners, and they have an amazing house in Brier with a huge backyard. So their advice is legit. My favorite offering was a simple idea from Danny. Paint the lower parts of the white wall in our attic bedroom up to where the roof starts to lean a slightly darker color (could be gray or tan or something) and it would open up the room and make it feel larger. We might have to do that.

After the back and forth throughout the house, we sat down at the table and put down the burgers pretty fast. When the food was finished, we migrated over to the couches and coffee tables to continue the conversation. Danny and Kawai literally started dating the same month Erica and I did, which is June of 2007. Their relationship was paced to ours and I remember being super stoked on their presence at our rehearsal dinner. Danny really worked the crowd that night and I assumed Kawai and him would be key players in our lineup of couple friends. Kawai is always smiling and upbeat, Danny is outgoing and great with banter. I definitely saw the four of us tearing it up on the town.

The years passed by and we only saw Danny and Kawai once or twice a year at major group functions, like Big Aaron's (Week Three)birthday party. For whatever reason, we didn't quite develop the couple friend connection I had anticipated. It might be because we have less in common than it would appear.

There was an awkward moment, at least in my head, when we busted out the Table Topics and the question was asked "What subject do you know more about than anyone else in the room?" Rap music. Fashion. Building stuff. Liquor. Four completely different passions, each of them incredibly boring to the other. The pause of silence was followed by moving on to the next card and not even elaborating on our knowledge. It made me feel like we didn't know each other that well.



Though I suppose we don't actually no each other that well, that moment just stuck out in my head in reflection as a possible reason for the lack of contact. Most of our interactions with Kawai and Danny are natural, flowing and fun. The dinner, for the most part, was no different. We sat and chatted about raising bulldogs (they have an adorable English female) and had some drinks and shared some memories. It was totally normal like it was something the four of us regularly do together.

One thing is for sure, Danny gets the award for biggest party soldier. Kawai and Danny had stayed out playing in a dart league until midnight the night before, Danny had to wake up at 4:30am for work, then they came to our house, and he stepped up to the social occasion even with a pending 4:30am wakeup call the next morning. Very impressive.

The duration of the date was perfect, too. On-time arrival, a pre-game drink during the walk-thru, some talking in the kitchen while the meal cooks, eat, post-dinner convo, off to home within three hours. Some of the other dates nearly lasted a full 24 hours, which Erica felt was a bit excessive. The three hour time window was nice, especially since all four of us had work the following day. Danny and Kawai were gracious guests who brought nice alcohol and stimulating conversation. I appreciated them coming over. I will look to make them closer friends in the coming year, as they are super dynamic people and we enjoy their company.



Next week, 52 DD becomes a family affair, as Erica and I play host to her younger brother Kevin and his fiance Sarah. If you stay reading, I'll stay writing, deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment